Monday, February 7, 2011

The Truth About Cats

I love this story! I'm not sure if it's Literature(y) enough to submit anywhere but here.

The Real Story by Tom Allman
As I stared out of the window, thinking of nothing, I suddenly wondered what Cats might use as a form of currency? The old lump of fur in my lap stirred, stretched languidly and began to clean herself. "You know, at one time, cat's were fabulously wealthy," she mewwed.

"Can you read my mind?"

"Shut up, I'll tell you the story, but then I'm going to have take another nap!"

"Ummm, OK."

"Cat's were given fabulous piles of gold coins by the pharaoh Ramses the First." "To keep them safe we stuffed the coins inside the remains of adorable baby birds we'd tortured then buried them in the yard." She circled my lap, claws unsheathed. "We kept watch over them from the highest and sunniest perch's we could find." "When we dozed off though the damn squirrels dug them up and spirited them all away."
"Very sad stuff," I sniffed.
From the corner of her eye she caught sight of a grey maned bandit on the window sill, sending her tail a-twitching. "Brigands," she hissed, "One day we'll be avenged!"
With that stinging ephithat still hanging in the air; she dozed off again.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this makes me glad I don't have any cats. They're kind of mean! Glad I'm not a squirrel! :D

    ReplyDelete